Monday, December 13, 2010

Mirror's Edge

I made this post (and blog) because I keep reading criticising reviews and complaints about this game. More often than not, they're trying to compare it to another game. You cannot do this with Mirror's Edge for one reason, it is (until the sequel comes out) not like any other game. It is one of a kind.

When I first bought this game in June 2009, I was a little scared. It's completely different from my usual RPGs and action adventure games. I played the demo about 30 times before I decided to buy the game. Even after all that thought, I was still unconvinced that I wouldn't hate this game. But after beating it the first time (which took about 9 hours), I couldn't wait to play again. The next few times I played through it, I beat it within an hour before the first. After about 10 playthroughs, I was down to 6 hours. At one point (after playing for about a month straight), I was down to 3 hours. It's all down to what you need to do and how you do it. Once you know what to do, where to go, and who to fight, it's all a game of chance (with the enemies, and even the parkour sometimes). The chance of just barely missing a pole or disarming an enemy keeps it fun.

I have personally played (and beaten) through it about 550 times, give or take 50. I love this game. The speed (even in the elevators and air vents) is perfect, the combat, although difficult and infuriating at times, is good enough to keep the general atmosphere of realism alive, the puzzles are difficult enough at times to make you want to quit and easy enough at times to still let you feel as if you accomplished something amazing. Even now, I still make mistakes because of the sheer chance that you can just barely misstep or disarm an opponent.

When I say there's a 'chance' that you'll miss something or get hit by not disarming your opponent, I mean that you only have about a second to react (with the enemies, at least). With the parkour, there's small little signs that what you're about to do is wrong and will lead to your death. Signs like, when you jump from one pole to another near the end of Chapter 2, your hand has to be off of the pole for you to grab the one you're jumping to. Little things like this show you how much thought was put into this game.

It's comments like "they didn't put enough thought into it" and "I thought it was going to be like a shooter" that irritate me. It's not trying to be a shooter. Also, I have searched all over the internet and have found out that a good chunk (about 40%) of the script of the game was cut out at the last second, without even informing the writers. An entire chapter was cut out and a screenshot of it is shown in the unlockables of the game. Also cut out were inner monologues from Faith when she was in the elevators. Thought was put into it. It was just cut out for unknown reasons.

Before people open their mouths about things, they should research them and make sure they know the whole story.

Overall, I rate this game a 5/5. If you have $20 (or it might even be half that now) and a PS3 or XBOX 360 pick this game up. Play the demo first if you can though, make sure you won't be wasting your money.

No comments:

Post a Comment